In the coming 12th of June, 2021 we are celebrating the 123rd Philippine Independence Day. In this blog we will tackle the significance of Independence day and as a National Regular Holiday, what it means for employers and employees.
Brief History of Independence Day
The Philippine Declaration of Independence was proclaimed on June 12, 1898 in Kawit, Cavite (formerly known as Cavite El Viejo). The proclamation of Independence was led by former president Emilio Aguinaldo at his ancestral home in Kawit, Cavite. The Philippine flag made by Marcela Agoncillo, Lorenza Agoncillo, and Delfina Herboza was formally presented to the people on that same day.
Celebrating Independence Day
Since we can’t just stroll around Luneta Park to celebrate the Philippine Independence Day because of the coronavirus pandemic, we have some ideas for you to celebrate this year’s independence day, this time, virtually.
Hosting a Watch Party
Host a company watch party to celebrate independence day. There are many ways to host a watch party online for your employees. You can utilize online meeting platforms such as Zoom to host a watch party with your employees or friends - just make sure that you have a stable internet connection with Globe.
What to watch:
- Heneral Luna - a 2015 Historical Biopic Film by Jerrold Tarog, this is a great primer and the events in this film will give you a brief overview of the Philippine-American war and get to know the heroes who fought for our independence in the history of the Philippines.
- Bonifacio: Ang Unang Pangulo - This film was released back in 2014 and is a historical biopic of Andres Bonifacio, one of the National Heroes of the Philippines, Bonifacio was one of the people who fought for the Independence of the Philippines.
- GOYO: Ang Batang Heneral - Another film that depicts the history of the Philippines, this time a Biopic of General Gregorio Del Pilar, who was one of the generals in the Philippine-American war.
Order Food Online
One of the things you can do is to order food online of the best Filipino street foods, because what signifies the culture of the country better than the food on its streets, right?
Here are some restaurants who serve Philippine street food where you can order from:
- Bulilit Kitchen - This restaurant serves and prepares various types of street food, and who doesn’t like isaw?
- Mang Larry’s Isawan - Another street food serving restaurant near the UP Diliman campus and the best part about it is that it’s available for delivery via pabili couriers like Grab.
- Avenida Pedestrian Delights - Craving for fishball and kikiam? Celebrate Philippine Independence Day with old fashioned fishball by ordering here!
- Egg Station - We can already smell the amazing food offerings just by looking at the photos! If you are looking to spoil yourself with “kwek kwek” this Independence Day, just visit here for the list of Egg Station’s stalls or better yet you can book a Grab for “pabili”!
National Regular Holiday
Philippine Independence Day is a National Regular Holiday which according to DOLE Labor Advisory 04-2021 (I) has the following pay rates:
- If the employee did not work, they will be paid 100% of their wages for the day if this falls on a work day.
- If the employee works on the day, they will be paid 200% of their wages for the day.
- If the employee works in excess of 8 hours (overtime), they will receive an additional 30% of their hourly rate. (Hourly rate of basic wage x 200% x 130% x number of hours worked)
- If the employee works on a regular holiday that also falls on their rest day, they will receive an additional 30% of their daily wage of 200%. [(Basic wage + COLA) x 200%) + [30% (Basic wage x 200%)]
- If the employee works in excess of 8 hours (overtime) on a regular holiday that also falls on their rest day, they will receive an additional 30% of their hourly rate. (Hourly rate of the basic wage x 200% x 130% x 30% x number of hours worked).
Sprout’s Payroll has all of these pay rates in its system with 32 different types of OT rates as well! Talk about easy payroll!
To learn more about Sprout’s growing business ecosystem you can visit this link.
Free yourself from tedious admin work and practice independence with Sprout!
Happy Independence Day!